Astro Sceince Research Organisation (Redg.)] Res. : L-409, Sarita Vihar,
Ph. 6943689, Fax 6942183
The heart is a four- chambered Electro-muscular pump designed to circulate the blood around the whole body continuously, without even a pause, till the end of life. Infect, it is a pair of pumps placed side by side. The heart is positioned in the chest just over the lower side of the left loave of the lungs.
The first pump situated on the right side of the heart. This pump recovers blood from the body through the veins and fills right ventricle of the heart and then pumps the blood to lungs. The second pump on the left recovers purified blood back from the lungs and fills the left ventricle of the heart and then pumps the blood to the body. Four valves control these functions. The blood supply to the heart muscle (the myocardium) itself is provided by special arteries, called coronary arteries.
The function of the heart is controlled and regulated by electrical impulses, originating in the sinus node, a structure embedded in the heart muscle. Nearly 72 impulses are passed every minute through myocardium, this generates equal number of heartbeats. In this process, heart muscle develops pressure (blood-pressure) which is responsible for the flow of blood in the body.
The nature has created another mechanical pumps (two in number) which are situated in each of the calf muscles of the legs. These pumping systems is only operative when a person is walking, running or performing some specific exercises and help the heart in accelerating the flow of blood supply in the body. These pumps do not operate when body is in resting mode. This is the broad basis on which heart helps to maintain the circulation of blood in the body.
Type of main diseases of heart
- Congenital Heart diseases.
- The child may born with some defects in the heart like: abnormality in aortic and Pulmonary valves, deformation in both or either of the ventricles (generally both Ventricles are connected by a whole), etc.
- Abnormalities caused during pregnancy like defects arising out during formation of foetus, on account of drugs taken by mother etc.
- On account of infections, German measles, rheumatic fever etc.
- Diseases of the Valves: On account of rheumatic fever, Calcification of valves, etc.; the flow of blood becomes restricted. This results in High blood pressure and related diseases of the heart.
- Coronary heart Disease. On account of several factors, the gradual narrowing of coronary arteries or excessive deposits of fats inside the walls of arteries occur. This results in the reduced supply of blood to heart muscle and myocardial infarction may result, which is called “Heart Attack”.
- Cardiac muscle disease : On account of infection, high blood pressure, congenital diseases etc., the heart muscle becomes weak and diseased. These are called as Cardio-myopathies.
- Disturbance in Heart’s electrical system : As healthy car engine cannot run without proper electrical system, similarly a healthy heart can perform properly if its electric system is sending proper and timely impulses. Many problems arise on account of mall functioning of heart’s electrical system.
This is a broad and layman’s view about the possible causes of heart disease. This may help to identify astrological reasons for specific heart diseases in broader prospective.
1.significators for heart (positive factors)
(a) The Fourth House: The fourth house indicates the heart of the native. Mind is also the seat of the fourth house. Heart and mind are very closely associated with each other.
(b) lord of the fourth house: The second important significator of the heart is the Lord of fourth house. This is in accordance with the basic principal of predictive astrology.
(c) moon: The Moon is Natural ruler as well as significator of fourth house. Moon is also significator of mind , thus Moon becomes important significator of the heart.
(d) Sign Cancer: Moon is the ruler of sign Cancer. This sign plays important role as significator of heart.
(e) Nakshatra anuradha: Anuradha is Heart of the kalapurusha (Lord Vishnu). Thus this Nakshatra acts as significator of Heart.
2. Significators for the disease of heart (negative factors)
a) The sun: Sun is the significator of the heart disease. When malefic influences operate on the Sun, heart diseases may be indicated. This also depends on other adverse indications such as malefic Dasas and transits. This is most important factor for the disease of the heart.
b) sign leo: Sun being its natural associate, any affliction to this sign may promote heart disease.
c) The Fifth house: The fifth house is the natural seat of sign Leo and its Lord Sun. Affliction to this house becomes a strong factor in promoting heart disease, further, this is the house of intellect which has a direct bearing on the well being of the heart muscle as well as its functioning. On account of this reason, some authorities have even advocated that real seat of heart is fifth house in comparison with fourth house. However, as heart is more akin to watery element (then fire), we feel it is more appropriate that forth house should be considered the prime seat of the heart. The fifth house either help in the growth and well being of the heart or if fifth house is afflicted it promotes the disease of the heart. The fifth house is a Marka house for heart muscle being second house from fourth house.
d) The Lord of the Fifth House: -For reasons explained in Sl.no. C above, the Lord of the fifth house acts as a Marka to heart muscle as well as if afflicted promotes heart disease.
3. Secondary significators for the disease of the heart (secondary Negative actors)
(A) 2nd drekkana: In case, ascendant falls in the 2nd Drekkana of the rising sign, the fifth and the ninth houses in rashi chart become the indicator of Right and left sides of the heart muscle respectively. In that case, any affliction to these houses indicates the strong possibility of heart disease depending upon the type of malefic influences operating on these houses.
(B) sign aquarius: In chapter I, sloka 8 of BrihatJatak, Varah Mihira identified Aquarius as “hirdyaroga”. The placement of sun in this sign does not augur well for heart.
(C) The Eleventh House: Eleventh House is the natural seat of sign Aquarius. This is the house of fulfilment of desire, which has a strong bearing both on mind and Intellect. The two Calf-muscles of both legs are also signified by eleventh house and sign Aquarius. Thus, this house becomes one of the strong significator for heart disease. This house is eighth from the forth house. Any affliction to the Fifth and eleventh house axis may cause heart disease.
(D) Nakshatra magha (Leo 0 degree – 13 degree 20’) (Yavan jatak): An afflicted planet in this Nakshatra may cause sudden shock and pollution to the heart. Kept is the ruler of this Nakshatra and triggers accidents and sudden events.
(E) Nakshatra Purva Phalguni (Leo 13 degree 20’ to 26 degree 40’) (Yavan jatak): This star has a strong signification over heart and generates swelling of heart muscles.
(F) dhanista – Last two charan (Aquarius 0 degree – 6 degree 40’): This star may trigger sudden failure of heart and carries the influence of sign Aquarius and Mars.
(G) shatavhisha (AQUARIUS 6 degree 40’ – 20 degree): This star rules over Electricity, which is vital for proper and regular functioning of the heart. Both Rahu and Hershel rule over Electricity and are the co-rulers of sign Aquarius. This star rules Rheumatic heart disease, high blood pressure, palpitation and other mall-functioning in the heart on account of its electrical system. Both Rahu and Hershel play vital Role for such problems in the heart.
(H) Poorva-Bhadarpad-First three Quarters: (Aquarius 20 degree to 30 degree) This rules over the irregularities in function, swelling and dilation of heart muscle. The Jupiter is the ruler of this star and represents expansion, swelling, dilation etc when afflicted.
Indication for prevention of heart disease
These are indications for strong and healthy heart.
1. In case Fourth house, its Lord, its Karka Moon, sign Cancer and Nakshatra Anuradha are in auspicious influence, the heart would be strong and would resist any indications and yoga (s) which may exist in the birth chart for the disease of heart. These are summarised as under:
(A) If Moon and Lord of the fourth house are:Heart Disease and Its Causes
i. In their Exaltation, Mooltrikona and own rashi(s),
ii. Conjunct, hammed or/and aspected by benefic planets.
iii. Placed in good bhavas -kendra and trikona (it would be better if both from Ascendant and fourth house)
iv. Moving towards their exaltation sign.
v. Vargottama, exaltation or own Navmasas.
vi. With six or more bindus in their own Astak Vargas and more than 32 bindus in Sarva – Astakvarga.
vii. Dispositor of these planets are similarly in auspicious influence
viii. These planets have acquired requisite Shad-Bala and Vimshopak strength.
ix. Placed in auspicious Shashtiyamsa (60th part of the rashi).
x. Simultaneously, fourth Bhava and Cancer Rashi are occupied or aspected by benefics or by their own Lords. These Bhava and rashi should be hemmed by benefics.
On the contrary, the following factors will promote illness
2. If Moon and lord of forth house are:
(1) In their debilitation or enemy sign
(2) Placement in 6th, 8th or/and 12th house from Ascendant and fourth house.
(3) Hemmed by Malefics.
(4) Conjunction or aspect of melefics (Mars, Saturn,Rahu,Ketu and lords of 6th 8th and 12th house)
(5) Relationship (Sambandh) with the Lords of 6th, 8th and 12th Lords from fourth as well as ascendant.
(6) Melefics in 6,8 and 12, or 5 or 9th houses from fourth house.
(7) Relationship with significators of diseases of heart
(8) Placement of planets in debilitation, Enemy and malefic Navmasa or in the Navmasa of rashis falling in trik Bhavas.
(9) Planets with 3 or less Bindus in their own respective Astakvarga and 22 or less Bindus sarvastak -Vargas.
(10) Bhavas, their Lords and Karka do not have requisite Shad- Bala and Vimshopak Strength.
(11) Placed in inauspicious Shashtiyamsa
(12) Fourth house and Cancer Rashi are occupied, Aspected or hemmed by Malefics.
Indication of Cardiac Illness.
1) Affliction to SUN: this is by far the most important factor in causing cardiac illness.Affliction from Saturn causes palpitation and shivering of heart. Ketu causes pain the heart. Mars causes problem of blood circulation. Sun’s debilitation and relationship with 6,8thand 12th houses or their Lords promotes heart disease.
2) Affliction to fifth house and 11th house and their Lords
3) Affliction to sign Leo and Aquarius.
4) Affliction to Lagna and its Lord. – This also promotes diseases.
5) Affliction to fourth and fifth houses from Moon and Sun respectively.
6) In the main Dasa of a malefic planet, if antardasa lord is retrograde and situated in fifth house from Lagna or Sun, promotes Cardiac illness.
7) In the presence of sufficient affliction, the Dasa of planets associating with SUN, the 5th house, the 5th lord leads to Cardiac illness.
8) In the basic scheme, Lagna is the house of health, sixth is for disease, 8th for death, 2nd and 7th are Marka houses and 12th is the house of decay. The ninth house is for growth and 11th house for recovery. When we consider similar scheme from house of heart i.e. the fourth house, the fourth house is for health of the heart, Ninth house is for its disease, 11th is for its death, 3rd for decay, 5th and 10th act as its Marka, 12th for growth and 2nd house from Lagna is for recovery of heart from disease. This gives some interesting information with regard to heart disease. 9th. 11th, 12th and 2nd houses from Lagna are common in both schemes. Thus 9th house may promote growth of the whole body but at the cost of heart. Similarly 11th house may promote recovery of the body from other illnesses but may adversely harm the heart. 12th house may weaken the body but may contribute to the health of the heart. 2nd house may help from the recovery of heart from the of disease but may sometimes be fatal to the native on account other reasons. These are the contradictions which Doctors and native face in life in actual practice. The astrologer should be very careful while assessing the recovery of a particular organ of the body. If dasa of 2nd Lord is running, sometimes operation of the heart is successful, still 2nd house may prove Marka to the native on account of other reasons.
All these factors are to be properly weighed before reaching a prediction on the recovery of the Native from the illnesses. When main Karka’s of heart are strong and in good influence like fourth house, Moon, Lord of the fourth house, sign Cancer, and star Anuradha, the heart would be strong. If these factors are weak and aflicted, the heart would be weak. And liable to contact disease. On the other hand, if Karkas for promoting disease of the heart are in benefic influence, they would not promote disease. If these are afflicted, they would certainly promote disease even if heart Muscle and its function both are in healthy condition. Both the above factors, the Karkas of heart and its disease are afflicted, the disease in the heart would be of serious nature.
- Every house represents two categories of things
(I) Living things
(II) Non living things
In the case of fourth house, mother, animals, birds, Energy to work, breasts of woman, chest, heart, lungs, Arteries, diaphragm, portion of chest above diaphragm, alimentary canal, ribs, sternum (breast bone), Right nostril (Ist Drekhana is rising), Right side of the middle position of the body (II nd Drekhana is rising), Right thigh (iiird Drekhana is rising) are the things which are in living categories. The land, house, vehicle, farm equipment, garden, grains, crops, mines etc are things represented by fourth house, which are in non-living categories . (We are not discussing about abstract things of fourth house, like happiness, education, mind etc).
“Natural malafic planets situated in a house give harm to living things and give rise to non living things; while natural benefic planets do not have much sympathy with the non-living things and give rise to living things related to that house.”
Natural malefic even in its own sign will harm the living things. In case of fourth house, it may strengthen the heart yet produce decay and disease in the heart. Natural Malefics behave like a snake that lays eggs but eats almost all by itself.
(For information of the readers, the abstract things represented by the fourth house are ambition, Comfort, Faith in religion, mind ,allegation, fame, victory, secrets, education, artistic ability etc)
- It is important to note that the reckoning of the various yogas is done in the dwadasamsa cart also exactly in the same manner as is done in rasi chart. In large number of cases the combinations are not visible straitaway in rasi chart. And yet the person suffers from the disease. In such cases, the dwadasamsa chart is very useful and will certainly provide the missing link in the diagnosis.
Yoga’s for Heart disease
- Malefics in forth house and its lord is conjoined or hemmed by Malefics.
- Forth lord in eighth with its lord or in combustion with Sun.
- malefics are placed in 4th and 5th houses simultaneously.
- Navamsa lord of 4th house lord, if afflicted, may promote misery and disease. If it is in malefic Shashtiyans (D-60) and aspected or conjoined with malefic, it may promote heart disease. Similar results are expected if it is with 6th or 8th lords along with Sun or any other malefic.
- Ketu joins Mars in fourth house.
- Affliction Moon in house of enemy.
- Saturn joins Sun in evil house or fourth house.
- Sixth Lord and SUN in fourth with a malefic.
- Mars Saturn or Jupiter in fourth house aspected by Malefics.
- 10, Sixth Lord in fourth house with Saturn and Jupiter.
- Mercury in Lagna, and both Sun & Saturn in 6th house afflicted by Malefic.
- Rahu and moon in seventh house and Saturn in Kendra.
- Sun is in sign Scorpio, weak Mars afflicts Jupiter and sixth Lord is also afflicted by Malefic.
- Afflicted Moon is fourth house and three malefcs in one house.
- Lord of fifth house or fifth house and /or both with Malefics and also hemmed by them.
- Fifth lord is in debilitation sign or inimical sign, or in eighth house, or combust and is with eighth Lord.
- Afflicted Sun as Sixth lord is in fourth house.
- Sun in Aquarius.
- A weak Lagna Lord positioned in 4th house with Rahu and aspected by Malefic.
- The heart attack may come in the periods and sub-periods of planets owning or occupying 2nd, 6th, 8th and 12th housed from the Sun and the 4th Lord.
Factors for protection against heart disease.
(1) Influence or aspects of Benefics on Karkas and absence of yoga’s indicating heart disease.
(2) Jupiter in Lagna and lagnesh is with strength.
(3) Strong Gaj-Kesari yoga in horoscope.
(4) Combination for Long life.
(5) Unafflicted sun in Gemini is said to provide protection against heart disease.
(6) When both Lagna and Moon are aspected by benefics.